This whaaatt is bananas! B-A-N-A-N-A-S

     This morning, I grudgingly awoke to eight thunderous chimes from the University Bell Tower with a slight headache, sore throat, and the discovery of a mystery scratch on my right hand. These ailments were the infelicitous consequences of an awesome Carolina Halloween, one that was truly BANANAS in every sense of the word. This year, after a last minute and desperate trip to Wal-Mart, I found a--shall we say--déclassé 100% polyester banana costume for the unbeatable price of fifteen dollars. And to give my costume an original flair, my choir friend Susan suggested adding a Chiquita banana sticker.
      For those of you unfamiliar with the revered Chapel Hill festival of Halloween, it is a town-sanctioned night of mayhem and contained anarchy on the famous Franklin Street. Around 50,000 (some years there have even been 80,000) people crowded the closed street for nearly two hours, representing almost every character and object imaginable. Some of my favorites were a giant Miley Cyrus wrecking ball, Rocket Power,  Boy Scout Russell from Up, the late night P2P bus, and a string of basketball players Dunkin' Doughnuts.
      Can you guess the most popular costume this year? I didn't see it coming, but to my dismay, it was the polyester banana suit. There were at least two hundred other bananas on Franklin Street, and at one point a mob of about 30 bananas surrounded me, sweeping me up into their perilous yellow abyss. And naturally, with so many bananas around, another popular costume climbing the food chain was the gorilla. Thankfully, I was not a victim of their notorious attacks. But still, how I wish that I'd known the many risks associated with the banana costume!

-EJS

My roommate and I
(He was Johnny Bravo)

Our friends in the suite beside ours dressed as Disney
Characters. I loved their costumes with short dresses!

Snow White and a banana

So many people!

This pretty much sums up the night!



Comments

Popular Posts