Community Journalism

I'm enrolled in a class this semester called Community Journalism, and our class writes for either the "Durham Voice" or the "Carrboro Commons." I'm writing for the Commons, which is an online media outlet devoted to all things Carrboro. For anyone unfamiliar with the Chapel Hill area, Carrboro is an adjacent called the Paris of the Piedmont. I only learned about this motto last week, but during my frequent wanderings into Carrboro, the atmosphere always reminded me of my trip to Paris. People walk or bike everywhere, and at almost any time of the day, the entire town seems to be drinking beers on the sidewalk.
     Community Journalism took a field trip to Carrboro this past Wednesday. Our professor and Carrboro resident Jock Lauterer gave us the inside scoop on the community. We even tried out our PHD cameras, as Jock described them, which is acronymous for "Push Here Dummy." He is grading us on our accompanying photos this semester. Hopefully these pics would pass.


Jock's botanist friend talking about the time he saved
trees in Carrboro-- all thanks to Carrboro's local newspaper. 


Jock and his friend Cliff showing us around
"Cliff's Meat Market." In some ways, Carrboro feels like
"Mr. Roger's Neighborhood."
Be looking out for my debut on the Carrboro Commons website: http://carrborocommons.org

-EJS

Comments

Popular Posts