A Person Divided and Our State

You may have heard the phrase "A house divided." It appears in the Bible, and Abraham Lincoln spoke of it when the South left the Union. For North Carolinians, this phrase has a particular meaning: It refers to that troubling situation when one kid goes to UNC and the other Duke. It appears everywhere from t-shirts and mugs to flags and seatbelt covers.

I need a mug or seatbelt cover that says "A person divided." 

A few weeks ago I accepted the position of senior organ scholar at Duke University. As an organ scholar, I will play at an evensong service every Sunday at 4 p.m., and I'll also have access to some of the best organs in the world. Unfortunately, the Chapel will be closed next year for renovation, but I'll have access to a very nice Richards and Fowkes organ in Goodson Chapel where I'll be coached by Kit Jacobson, an accomplished musician who was previously an organist at the National Cathedral. 

The position means my eyes will have to adjust to a somewhat darker shade of blue. But that won't take long. The service, which begins August 31 and goes throughout the school year, will be modeled after the evensong services of the Anglican church. I attended one of these services when I visited my friend Sam Boobier at St. Andrews over Spring Break. The artistry in this "high church" service is incredible, with a professional choir singing chants, anthems, and hymns. I can't wait to serve the Church and its people this academic year through organ at Duke.

A picture of the Flentrop organ from when I auditioned in early May. 
Today was also my first day working as an intern at Our State Magazine. It's the first time I've had my own cubicle — complete with my own telephone, computer, pencil cup, and even my own email address. There's a break room, coffee machine, and an always smiling receptionist named "J Fran." Having your own cubicle really makes you feel like a "grown up." 

Today, I hit the ground running. After rifling through a few forms, I looked over proofs of the July issue, brainstormed kickers for the front cover, and even edited an article for the July issue. This internship won't be wasted in the break room.  I will be writing, editing, and even doing some traveling for the magazine over the summer. The magazine has a great editorial staff, and I can't wait to get the inside scoop on magazine writing from such an excellent publication — certainly the best in My State.

Editing the old-fashioned way at Our State magazine. 




Comments

Popular Posts