Summertime and the living is easy

I can't believe it's already June 2nd, and I will be turning 21 in about two weeks. I haven't blogged since returning home, so I'd like to take this opportunity to outline my summer plans:

I'm currently working as a docent at the historical house museum Korner's Folly. The next time you find yourself passing through Kernersville NC, it's definitely worth a visit to "the strangest house in the world."

I also garden a lot during the summer months. There's never a day when I'm not watering, planting, or picking dirt from beneath my fingernails. I'm looking forward to a bountiful harvest this summer of garlic, grapes, eggplant, tomatoes, basil, oregano, peppermint, green peppers, hot peppers, watermelon, green beans, cucumbers, wheat, guards, parsley, and cilantro. (Shout out to Christin for starting the cilantro from seed!)
My verdant "field of wheat"
Trips this summer include traveling to the beach (Southport, NC), the mountains (Surber, VA) and Taize, France. Late July I will travel to a French monastery with friends from Chapel of the Cross and Trinity Wall Street to experience two weeks or regimented prayer, singing, and cross-denominational fellowship. Can't wait to make this pilgrimage across the big pond. 

Lastly, I become a HUGE connoisseur of NPR and country music over the summer. I don't really listen to the radio at school, but driving around Greensboro and to work, I get a healthy dose of culture and country. My life pretty much becomes trucks, buck, beers, babes, and bars for the next three months, with the occasional update on domestic politics and conflict in the Middle East.

In the words of the Gershwin Porgy and Bess aria, "Summertime and the living is easy...so spread your wings and take to the sky!"  

Fantastic cover of Summertime by Nora Jones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJOtaWyEzaI

~EJS

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts